Monday, April 21, 2008

Oft trifft West

I just stumbled across a project called Oft trifft West by Yang Liu, a Chinese artist living in Germany, which attempts to explain several differences between Chinese and German culture. I'm not German, but close enough:


This is a obviously a somewhat simplistic view of things, but sometimes it really does feel like this. Especially when you know you need to leave China two weeks before your contract ends to attend one of your best friends' weddings and would like to get proper permission to do so. I've been asking questions since I got here, but probably won't arrive at the answer until a week or two before I leave the country. I'm confident that I will eventually get the permission I need, but there are several hoops I must jump through and people I must appeal to before that can happen. In any case, I've booked a plane ticket and I'll cut and run if I have to.

No comments: