Saturday, April 19, 2008

CCTV strikes again

This morning I was reading an article about the promise of concentrated solar power, and now CCTV International is teaching me about the Yang Sui, a mirror mentioned in the article that was used during the Zhou dynasty to start fires with concentrated sunlight. This is a rare moment of convergence between CCTV and any other media I may consume.

CCTV International can be pretty amusing though. Since I turned the TV on a little bit ago while sorting my laundry, I have seen:
  • several westerners in China saying what a shame it is that the Olympics have become so politicized
  • a Chinese language-learning program focusing on words associated with ping pong
  • a comparison of three of the most popular skin-whitening products
  • interviews with several foreign students in Beijing who will volunteer at the Olympics
  • a stock car race taking place in Shanghai
  • an instrumental cover of One Night in Beijing (perhaps our favorite Chinese song!) played on the erhu, the pipa, and the dizi
I'm feeling inspired to bring my computer into the living room more often.

No comments: