Monday, May 12, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!

This afternoon at about 2:30, as I was laying in bed reading in between classes on the new campus, my stomach started to rumble. I thought maybe my lunch hadn't totally agreed with me until I noticed that the rumbling had grown, and soon the bed was shaking, the windows were shaking, the walls and floors were shaking. I have seen cartoons of earthquakes before and always thought that the undulating appearance of everything was a comic exaggeration, but it's not. That's exactly what it looked and felt like. I grabbed my laptop and stood in the doorway, a supposedly safer place. At that point I wasn't about to try to evacuate the building, what with everything moving as it was. After a few minutes the floor stopped moving, and a few more minutes after that the lights hanging from the ceiling stopped swinging, so I settled back in to my free afternoon.

Of course, Kitty came in about half an hour later to get some stuff and check if I was there and informed me that everyone else on campus had evacuated every building and were all standing outside waiting for further instruction. After going outside, Hou Laoshi (the teacher in charge of my freshman students) pointed out two huge cracks in a nearby academic building.

All afternoon classes were canceled, so I watched Kitty's students continue their game of kickball while we waited for more news. The news was mostly inconclusive, but eventually we found a student who had heard from Ma Jing that our evening classes would be canceled as well, so Kitty and I came home on the 6 o'clock bus.

This was my first earthquake, and apparently it was a 7.8 on the Richter scale in northwestern Sichuan province where it originated. The earthquake was felt as far away as Bangkok. Every time I check the news, it sounds worse. 4 kids dead in a collapsed elementary school in Chongqing. Somebody crushed by a fallen water tower. 900 students trapped in a high school in Sichuan. The latest confirmed death toll is 107, but estimates are up to 5000.

We've heard rumors of another quake coming within the next two hours, but the government hasn't released any official warning, and I have few sources of information. Cell phones mostly aren't working, and I haven't had any natural disaster units yet in Chinese class. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

PK said...

Hi Shelby,
Your description of the quake was somewhat of a relief to read -- my girlfriend Cyndi is in Xi'an with other Americans doing chalk art (paintings done on the street surface)hosted by the Chinese government.

I have not heard from her in 48 hours, which is normal for communications from within China. However,I feared the worst when I saw how close Xi'an is to the epicenter of this quake.

Any additional info you may have on the status of Xi'an and its infrastructure would be most appreciated.

Thank you for posting and good luck,

Paul in San Diego

Unknown said...

Hi Shelby, thank you for your blog post. Yes, I second Paul's request, please let us know how things look in Xi'an when you get a chance. Thank you very much.

Carlos

Marie said...

Hi Shelby,
My girlfriend, Lori E., is with the other Americans doing street painting in Xi'an.
I had an email from their coordinator, Sasha, here in the bay area and he had talked to Daniel and everyone in their group is fine.

Thanks for your post...
keep us updated.

Marie in San Rafael,CA

PK said...

FYI to all -- I spoke with Sasha this am, and he confirmed that everyone in the street painting group is fine. Cyndi texted me the same, saying that they are fine, 'it was big', and that they had to stop painting for the day on Monday.

An update on the city from your perspective Shelby, would still be good to have.
PK

bemdesign said...

Thank you all for your postings. Paul and Marie, I was supposed to have gone with the group to street paint and wasn't able to at the last minute. I was worried for the whole group once I heard about the earthquake, but I'm glad I found these postings. Paul, if you message Cyndi anytime soon please tell her "Brenda says she glad to hear the whole group is safe and sound and I send a big hug their way.".

PK said...

I sent this link to Cyndi...she texted me earlier that they evacuated the hotel at 4am with aftershocks.
She said she needed coffee......