Sunday, November 4, 2007

Be Careful!

Check out this somewhat ominous, though quite wise, sign that I saw today while walking around campus with Lily:
This brings up a few important topics:
  • The weather here has been awesome recently, as you can see. It has been clear and sunny, and often around 60 degrees, which seems quite warm for late October / early November. The beginning of October was dreadfully cold and rainy and I wasn't sure that I was going to make it until November 15 when the heat comes on. I had several nights where I woke up shivering, even bundled up in a sweatshirt and fleece pants under an extra blanket, before Kitty figured out that our air conditioning units can also make some heat. Lately that has been entirely unnecessary, but the radiators will turn on in 11 days regardless of what the weather is doing.
  • There are some excellent signs in China. I could fill a whole blog just with photos of amusing English translations I've seen around the city, IF I weren't so used to them by now that I rarely take photos of them anymore. We saw a great one last night on our way between the bowling alley and a hotpot restaurant. It was underneath the Chinese name for a clothing store, and said something to the effect of "They're really popular at the moment." Guess it can't last. There is another amazing sign on campus that I keep meaning to take a photo of, because in Chinese it only has 8 characters but in English it has an absolutely astounding number of words, and I am baffled as to how they could say the same thing.
  • I have been being careful and cherishing life. I've been thinking and reading and talking a LOT about environmentalism and sustainability recently, and that has something to do with it. I'll write a lot more about that when I have time to devote a whole post to it. In the meantime, you shan't go entirely empty-handed; I have uploaded a ton of photos from my first month here, meaning that at least my photo uploading has caught up with my blogging, even if neither of them has caught up with me.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Shelby!

Glad to be able to hear what's going on in China. The weather here has been around 60 as well, if not high 60s some days. Autmun is gorgeous here and I'm enjoying the weather. I didn't understand your reference to the Great Firewall of China- maybe it shows how out of touch with the news I've been recently.

P.S. Hot pot is my favorite Chinese dish- Korea has something similar called ShabuShabu which is just as excellent!